Biologically inspired robotics
Over millennia, Nature has always been in constant evolution aimed at perfecting energy processes, animal locomotion, behaviour, intelligence and so on. As robotic engineers, learning and taking inspiration from nature might hold the secret to more efficient robots. This page provides a brief insight into the projects that I have been involved in the area of bio-inspired robotics.
- The Verge : BaTboT drone looks like a bat, acts like a bat, 2012
- Physics Society USA: BaTboT is up for imitating smart bat maneuvers, 2012
- New Scientist UK: Shape-shifting wings make stealthy Batbot more agile, 2012
- RTVE: El robot-murciélago con “músculos” artificiales, 2012
- Colorado J., Rossi C. , Chao Z. and Barrientos A, 2015. Towards efficient flight: insights on proper morphing-wing modulation in a bat-like robot (Accepted). Advanced Robotics (to appear).
- Colorado J., Rossi C., Barrientos A., Patino D., 2014. The influence of bat wings for producing efficient net body forces in bio-inspired flapping robots. The 11th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics -ICINCO‘2014, 1-3 Sept, Vienna, Austria. ISBN: 978-989-758-040-6
- Colorado J., Barrientos A., Rossi C., Parra, C. 2013. Inertial Attitude Control of a Bat-like Morphing-wing Micro Air Vehicle. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 8, 016001.
- Colorado J., Barrientos A., Rossi C., Balhman J., Breuer, K, 2012. Biomechanics of smart wings in a bat robot: morphing-wings using SMA actuators. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 7, 036006 (16pp).
- Coral W., Rossi C., Colorado J., Barrientos, A., 2012. Muscle-like actuation in biologically inspired robots: The state of arts review on SMA technology, in book Smart actuation and sensing systems – Recent advances and future challenges, published by In-Tech, ISBN: 978-953-307-990-4.
- Rossi C, Colorado J., Coral W., Barrientos A., 2011. Bending Continuous Structures with SMAs: a Novel Robotic Fish Design.Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. Special issue: biomimetics of movement, Vol. 6, No. 4, 15pp.
- Colorado J, Rossi C, Coral W, Barrientos A. 2012. SMA-driven modulation of highly articulated wings: insights on efficient flight inspired by bats. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems -IROS‘2012. Workshop on Smart materials and alternative technologies for bio-inspired robots and systems, Algarve, Portugal, Oct.7-12.
- Colorado J., Barrientos A., Rossi C., 2011. Biomechanics of morphing wings in a Bat-robot actuated by SMA muscles. Proceedings of theInternational Workshop on bio-inspired robots, Nantes, France, April 6-8.
- Rossi C, Coral W., Colorado J., Barrientos A., 2011. A Motor-less and Gear-less Bio-mimetic Robotic Fish Design.Proceedings oftheIEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation -ICRA‘2011. Shanghai, China. May 9-13.
- Rossi C., Coral W., Colorado J., Barrientos A., 2011. Towards Motor-less and Gear-less robots: a bio-mimetic Fish Design. Proceedings of theInternational Workshop on bio-inspired robots, Nantes, France, April 6-8.
- Rossi C, Barrientos A, Colorado J., Coral W., 2010. Fish physiology put into Practice: a Robotic Fish Model.Workshop on the Swimming Physiology of Fish -FitFish2010. Barcelona, Spain. July 2-3.
- Colorado, J., Barrientos, A, Rossi, C., Cerro, J., Garzón M., Galán, M., 2010. Efficient Locomotion on non-wheeled Snake-like Robots. The 7th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics -ICINCO‘2010. Madeira, Portugal, June 15-18. ISBN: 978-989-8425-01-0.